The Jitters

Around this time in the semester I start to get nervous and I don’t mean slightly uncomfortable or a little bit worried but actual, full blown anxiety. This may sound strange as I am usually happy go lucky and don’t worry about anything until its much too late. Whenever someone talks to me about Global Warming the chances are that I’ll cheerfully zone out and imagine which mutant power I would most like to have. This isn’t, you understand, because I don’t care about the problems facing our Environment, but rather it is because there are so many people who are so much smarter than myself doing so that I rather feel I would get under foot and annoy them. Also while they are worrying over that no-one is left to worry about which mutant power I would like to develop.

The real reason I become so concerned at this moment is because so much of my free time will seem to be devoted to assignments and researching for them. I’ll spend so much time staring blankly at Google Scholar or at word documents that it will start to feel like my entire existence is based on a little flashing line that dictates where the next word I write will go. So the long and short of it is that I get a little stressed over assignments, that’s normal and I should just deal with it. This year though I have one little tiny morsel more on my plate, this is my last semester of University.

After I pass that final unit I will be a free man and due some unforeseen financial problems (post-grad is a little out of my budget) I will be looking for full time employment. These however are not issues I wish to burden you with my dear reader, instead I was hoping to share my strategy of dealing with stress. Every semester the Guild holds a Stamp Out Stress day where there is a petting zoo, drumming lessons and free herbal tea. It is the greatest invention ever and humankind shall never ascend to the dizzying heights required for such an idea ever again. This semester though I will be unfortunate enough to miss out on it and the therapy that feeding a fuzzy lamb brings. Instead I will be working in the relatively non-stress-free environment of the commercial cafe.

So that is why, in my hour of need, I am turning to you, the people I try to entertain here. Please let me know how you deal with stress, is it exercise? Screaming pillow therapy? Semi-legal narcotics? Keep in mind that my sanity is in the balance and, while reading about me becoming dangerously unhinged would be enjoyable, you would be saving me from an inevitable breakdown. 

7 comments:

Cal said...

But what mutant power would you most like to develop? I reuqest/demand a blog post revolving around this please.

Jonathan said...

I have given this topic a LOT of thought and I have concluded that the best mutant power, i.e the one that best suits the rigorous demands of my life, is teleportation.

drjasonfox said...

Hey Jon,
I used to run sessions on How to Enjoy Exams while I'll was completing my PhD at Murdoch. I've done a whole bunch of interviews with different experts on this topic – you can watch the videos on my website www.enjoyexams.com/blog
Hope this helps mate, all the best!
drjasonfox

Jonathan said...

That is some very helpful advice on that link, thank you Dr Jason! :)

Richard Gurney said...

I tend to deal with stress by ranting a lot. Brick walls hurt too much. Fly fishing is good. Get your favourite Perth-based uncle to take you fishing in his little green boat along with your favourite Perth-based aunt & cousins.

Ashley Joseph said...

Alcohol;lots of it.

I also find baking helps.

The result of the baking doesn't matter but the procrastinating-but-I'm-still-doing-something takes care of some of the stress until,you've an inedible cake and you realize you've gotta get back to assignments/study and now you've less time thanks to the baking.

Jonathan said...

I've dabbled with alcohol but never with baking. I think when I have more time I might give it a shot.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
Perth, WA, Australia
I live in Perth and this blog is about navigating that life in my own way.

Followers


Recent Comments