Finding a house

I am currently looking for a house. Well, I say house, I mean any dwelling that I can live in and store my stuff. The problem is that I am still vastly under-prepared for life in the real world and so cannot fathom the steps required to get to the point where I will put ink on a piece of paper that will legally give me permission to live somewhere. 

Compounding this problem is my friend Cato who has, in a hilarious lapse of judgement, given me carte blanche in selecting the next place where we will live. Cato is currently in Brazil doing something with animals (helping them I suspect) and so relying on me entirely to find a place. I do hope she doesn’t read this before she gets back.

The main issue I seem to have faced so far is getting the agents to get back to me, whether by phone or e-mail. I am a bit perplexed as I am perfectly willing to give them money to let me live in someone else’s house but they seem incapable of returning a phone call. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a code phrase I can leave on their voicemail that will grant me access?

In the meantime, while I wait for my e-mail to chime or phone to ring, I am composing a list of things I suspect Cato would like in a house.

  1. A roof over at least most of the house - good for rain
  2. A garage - these are handy for cars. Cato does not own a car but I hope she will invest in one soon.
  3. Doors - For safety
  4. Windows - In case we lose our keys to the doors
  5. A fridge - if I know Cato she is going to want a place to put food
I’ll be keeping this updated with my progress. Please chime in if you have advice!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yayyyyyyyyyyy! Also, Cato loves peep holes cut in the bedroom doors and glory holes in the toliet doors.

Yours sincerely,

Not Cal

Jonathan said...

Noted! I suppose those can always be added to a house to make her feel more comfortable...

Richard Gurney said...

You will also need an "outdoors". This is a place you can go when you're on vacation or when a huff (not Hoff) is appropriate. It's also a great place to throw your empty tinnies before recycling them.

Cato said...

Lol! Cannot believe I only just saw this!

Wibi Udayana said...

I completely agree with you with this one. Finding a house is probably one of the hardest things to do in Perth as a student. Finding one at the right price and at the same time look good and have all the essential things we need is not easy. By the way, I love your blog layout as it feels like you are writing on a diary journal. There are so much information on being a student here and I am picking up bits of tips here and there from you. Thanks man, great blog & post.

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
Perth, WA, Australia
I live in Perth and this blog is about navigating that life in my own way.

Followers


Recent Comments